Donnerstag, 3. Juli 2008

Look like yourself in Twinity...or rather not?

I just received news from Twinity, the virtual world that builds real cities (along with real names and realtime weather/daytime, but I’ll talk about that later).

The Twinity team promoted ther new “Photo Fit feature”: “Want to personalize your virtual you? In Twinity, you can individualize your avatar to look just like you do in real life!” Just upload a photo and then adjust your avatar until the little pixel thingy looks JUST like yourself in real life. While this could be exactly what you don’t want when entering a virtual playground, there are other situations - for example business meetings - where that feature comes in handy.

Well, while I like the possibility very much and think that Linden Lab should long ago have offered an easy way to import a portrait picture and transform it automatically to 3D (you still have to use expensive thirs party services to do that) their demo pictures fail to convince me. Look here:

Twinity virtual me

I don’t know about you, but to me all Twinity characters look a little neckless and women are repeatedly broad-shouldered (to be honest I think the woman in the following picture is a transvestite).

Twinity Avatars

0 comments:

Kommentar veröffentlichen